Arttrober 2025 (Part 3 of 4)
It's October, and that means that once again I'm following the prompts for Arttrober, a daily drawing challenge that requires artists to draw specific characters from anime, comics and games over the course of the month. This post will collect the third eight days of the challenge, starting from October 17th.
The first eight days of this drawing challenge are to found here.
|
| 17 Snow White (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) |
A drawing of the character Snow White. I took the classic Disney animated movie from 1937 as my reference, since that is by far and away the most recognisable version of the character. I had a bit of trouble drawing her actually, which, given her relatively simple design, may be an indication of mid-month fatigue.
|
| 18 Chun-Li (Street Fighter Alpha) |
Even a fighting game neophyte like myself knows Street Fighter, and many of its core characters—Chun-Li very much included. And though I don't really play fighting games, I do appreciate that many of them have intereting designs, and indeed they are a staple of the Arttrober list. So here's my depiction of Chun-Li in her Street Fighter Alpha incarnation (as specified by the prompt), thankfully not too worse for wear from having to be drawn in multiple sittings as I travelled around on various errands during the day.
|
| 19 Reika (Gantz) |
I recall watching some of the anime adaptation of Gantz many years ago; I remember it coming across to me as quite violent and nihilistic, though my memory (and the fact I only watched a few episodes) might have given me a flawed impression.
Reika's skintight costume is another opportunity to practice the drawings of glossy/shiny materials, though I think my current technique is lacking. I'll have to carry out a study of how these materials reflect light and how to better translate that into my own artstyle sometime. Preferably when I can spend more than a few hours on a single piece.
|
| 20 Scarlett (G.I. Joe) |
G.I. Joe was a cartoon series and toy-line that I was aware of as a child, but wasn't nearly as interested in as Transformers toys and media. So I really don't know much about the characters and storylines. But I got to draw a crossbow, so that's nice.
|
| 21 Sakura (Sakura Wars) |
Sakura Wars is a videogame series that has passed me by, so I'm afraid I know next to nothing about it. Nevertheless, I do quite like drawing characters in traditional Japanese garb such as kimonos and hakama. I also took the opportunity to draw a more dynamic pose than I could have gotten away with, and am fairly happy with the result.
|
| 22 Shadow Lady (Shadow Lady) |
Prior to yesterday evening, I'd never even heard of Shadow Lady—but apparently it was actually quite a popular manga in its day. I do quite like discovering new mangas (and shows and games and so forth) from doing these drawing prompts, even if I rarely find the time to investigate further.
I still need to work out how to better highlight glossy fabrics like leather though.
|
| 23 Jean Grey (X-Men) |
X-Men! I've seen a few of the X-Men movies (pre-Marvel Cinematic Universe), and I've absorbed snippets of their comics outings, though I've never been much of a comic buyer. I certainly know who Jean Grey is, and of the Phoenix Force, and of the Dark Phoenix Saga, which film-makers have attempted to bring to screen twice now in recent memory with limited success. In any case, I've drawn Jean in one of her Phoenix incarnations (Dark or otherwise), playing with fire.
|
| 24 Ayane (Dead or Alive) |
Another fighting game character: Ayane from the long-running Dead or Alive fighting game series. A series that has tended to veer particularly strongly into the fan-service realm, at least by reputation—and the existence of at least one volleyball spinoff. In any case, I went for Ayane's 'classic' look, as seen in the first two games.
Arttrober continues with the next post in the series.







Comments
Post a Comment