Arttrober 2025 (Part 1 of 4)
It's October. Already. That means many things, but one particular thing it means is that it's time for me to follow the daily art prompt challenge Arttrober and start grinding out some portraits of characters from anime, comics and games. This post will collect the first eight days of the challenge, starting from October 1st.
|
| 01 Cynthia (Pokemon) |
A character I've actually drawn before for Arttrober, four years ago. I've barely played any Pokemon, so most of the characters appearing in the games aren't familiar to me (though some of the Pokemon have become very familiar by cultural saturation. A decent start to the month, albeit with the usual concern about how I could possibly keep up the necessary time investment. Well, I've managed before.
|
| 02 Barbie (y'know, from... Barbie) |
I've never owned a barbie doll. This is not particularly strange: I was a Transformers and He-Man kind of kid. I just thought to mention it. As for the drawing itself, I decided to draw Margot Robbie in the role of Barbie, rather than say drawing my own depiction of 'Astronaut Barbie' or 'Dentist Barbie'. Possibly in restricting myself so, I have missed a trick.
|
| 03 Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown) |
The first character in this prompt list who I know nothing about. Nakoruru is a fighter in various SNK fighting games, most prominently Samurai Shodown. I tried to capture her in motion as she attacks, but I may have just made her look all tangled up in herself. A lot of Nakoruru artwork includes her hawk, Mamahaha. I would have liked to include Mamahaha in the drawing, but with the limited time available to me each day, I had to make a concession to practicality (sorry Mamahaha).
|
| 04 Kusanagi Motoko (Ghost in the Shell) |
Ghost in the Shell is an old favourite of mine—specifically the Stand Alone Complex anime. So naturally I chose that version of the Major to draw, even though the whole leotard and leather jacket combo is a little silly. Well, I suppose a full-body cyborg doesn't get cold.
|
| 05 Velma (Scooby-Doo) |
Scooby-Doo was one of those cartoon shows that were always on during my childhood, so I'm certainly familiar with the character of Velma. Not a complicated character to draw, though I'm not certain I've quite managed to capture her look in my style.
|
| 06 Terra (Final Fantasy VI) |
The Final Fantasy games were among my favourites when I was younger, though my interest these days tends towards Square Enix's 'throw-back' JRPGs such as Octopath Traveler rather than the modern Final Fantasies. In any case, I'm well-acquainted with the half-Esper Terra Branford of Final Fantasy 6, and was happy enough to draw her. Thought I did have to decide whether to draw her as originally depicted by Amano Yoshitaka, or as depicted in-game (with green hair and a slightly different costume). In the end, I basically split the difference.
|
| 07 Maetel (Galaxy Express 999) |
Galaxy Express is a classic manga/anime, originally published (the manga) in 1977, about a boy travelling the stars on the eponymous train. Maetel is his travelling companion and a major character—but all this is information I retrieved from a wiki, as I'd had no contact with this series prior to drawing Maetel here.
I did notice the similarities in design between Maetel and Cynthia, being both blonde-haired woman who dress in black with fur trim.
|
| 08 Buttercup, Bubbles and Blossom (Powerpuff Girls) |
Not generally the kind of thing I usually draw, but it's nice to have some variety! I did consider reinterpreting the Powerpuff Girls in my 'house' style, but realised that it would:
- Require considerable extrapolation as to what the girls actually look like when not in their regular highly-stylised forms.
- Actually be really quite time consuming—essentially a triple effort for the day. Which would be bad.
So I didn't do that, and just kept it simple and fun.
Arttrober continues with the next post in the series.







Comments
Post a Comment