Arttrober 2025 (Part 2 of 4)
It's October, and that means that once again I'm following the prompts for Arttrober, a daily drawing challenge that requires artists to draw specific characters from anime, comics and games over the course of the month. This post will collect the second eight days of the challenge, starting from October 9th.
The first eight days of this drawing challenge are to found here.
|
| 09 Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft) |
Starcraft is a game I played many years ago, and quite enjoyed, so I remember the 'Queen of Blades' Kerrigan, formerly human before being infested and mutated by the Zerg. I have not played the more recent Starcraft 2 however, which continues Kerrigan's storyline and apparently involves her getting de-infested and re-infested for various plot reasons. In fact I had a bit of trouble finding good references for the this character, simply because of all of her various incarnations and the fact that a lot of her cutscenes have quite murky lighting, making it difficult to even be entirely certain how to colour her. I think I figured it out in the end...
|
| 10 Ayanami Rei (Neon Genesis Evangelion) |
Another classic anime character. Neon Genesis Evangelion is not one I've watched, mostly because my brother got really into it at one point and so I ended up avoiding it out of a sense of sibling perversity. Nevertheless, Evangelion has enough cultural cachet that I ended up knowing a surprising amount about its story and characters, including about Rei. So I at least knew who I was drawing!
|
| 11 Penelope Pitstop (Wacky Races) |
Another old Hanna-Barbera character. I vaguely recall seeing one or two episodes of Wacky Races as a child, and I think of the other cartoon starring Penelope as well, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop.
|
| 12 Zero (Mega Man Zero) |
A sudden appearance of that most rare creature in the Arttrober list, the male (or in this case, being an android, male-presenting?) character.
I've played a couple of the Mega Man games. I was not very good at them. One of the games I played was Mega Man X, which I believe introduced the character of Zero, who acted as a slightly haughty ally of the protagonist, X. Apparently Zero was popular enough to star in his own spin-off series.
|
| 13 Nadia (Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water) |
Another character from a classic anime that I've heard of but never had the pleasure of watching. A nice character to draw on a Monday, and I'm reasonably satisfied with the result.
|
| 14 Jessica Rabbit (Who Framed Roger Rabbit?) |
Gosh, I can't think how many years it must have been since I last saw the film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?". Given that Jessica is a toon, I suppose technically she looks exactly like she looks in the film, in the sense that drawing her in a different art style would not truly represent her. This didn't really occur to me when I did this drawing however, and I don't really think it matters. She was fun enough to draw, though I might have overdone it slightly with the sparkly dress.
|
| 15 Fiolina Germi (Metal Slug) |
I really know next to nothing about the Metal Slug series of games. Fiolina (Fio) is apparently one of the recurring protagonists. I tried to give her a slightly stockier, more muscular appearance than some of the other women I've already drawn this month. This drawing is also further evidence that I don't really know what pistols look like.
|
| 16 Guts (Berserk) |
Not the best likeness, but I guess I need more practice drawing more masculine characters.
I'm quite familiar with the manga Berserk. I saw the first anime adaptation of Berserk (covering the 'golden age' arc) many years ago, and later read most of the manga as has been released up that point. I also watched the later anime series released in 2016, which had a mixed reception, I think mainly due to the heavy use of 3D animation. Things that stuck out in the manga and animes: an evolving art-style, almost relentless grimness, Susumu Hirasawa's soundtrack.
Arttrober continues with the next post in the series.







Comments
Post a Comment