Arttrober 2024 (Part 4 of 4)

A drawing of the character Reina from the videogame Tekken 8. The character, a young woman with brown eyes and short bobbed black hair tinted purple at the edges, is standing sidelong with her arms folded as she leans back and turns her head towards the viewer. She's wearing a baggy sports jacket that is purple on the left side (facing the viewer) and black on the other.

It's October, and that means that once again I'm following the prompts for Arttrober, a daily drawing challenge that requires artists to draw specific characters from anime, comics and games over the course of the month. This post will collect the final seven days of the challenge, starting from October 25th.

The first eight days of this drawing challenge are to found here.

 drawing of the character Shampoo from the manga Ranma 1/2. The character, a young woman with brown eyes and long indigo hair extending down to her hips, is looking demurely towards the viewer, her body angled at a three-quarter perspective. She's wearing a red cheongsam with short sleeves, tied with a saffron sash about her waist. The cheongsam is decorated with orange butterflies. Some of her hair is tied into twin buns behind her head.
25 Shampoo (Ranma 1/2)

Another character from a classic manga I haven't actually read (or watched any adaptations of). I believe Shampoo is one of the maidens vying for the protagonist's hand in marriage; I imagine there are hijinks involved.

A drawing of the character Starlight from the comic and TV series The Boys. The character, a young woman with brown eyes and long blonde hair, is standing in a conventionally heroic pose, hands on hips as she looks towards the viewer. She's wearing her costume: a white affair with yellow trim that covers most of her body, ornamented with bronze stars around her chest and armguards. She has a golden utility belt and is wearing a white hairband.
26 Starlight (The Boys)

The Boys is a show I have not watched. No, I realise how shocking that is, but it's true. I've drawn Starlight based on her TV rather than comic incarnation, if that's not obvious just by looking.

A drawing of the character Reina from the videogame Tekken 8. The character, a young woman with brown eyes and short bobbed black hair tinted purple at the edges, is standing sidelong with her arms folded as she leans back and turns her head towards the viewer. She's wearing a baggy sports jacket that is purple on the left side (facing the viewer) and black on the other.
27 Reina (Tekken)

Another fighting game character, this time from Tekken. The jacket serves to give her a distinctive look that isn't shared by most of the other characters drawn for Arttrober—this late in the month, a bit of variety is appreciated.

A drawing of the characters Panty and Stocking from the anime Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. The characters, two exiled angels who look like young women, are standing close together. At the front is Panty, who has teal eyes and long, wild blonde hair. She's dressed in a short red dress, accessorised with red earrings and golden bangles. She's striking a sassy pose. Stocking is hiding behind her looking shy. Stocking also has teal eyes, but her hair is long and straight, and is coloured indigo over pink. She's wearing gothic dress, black with white frills. She has her arms wrapped around herself, with a stuffed cat clutched to her chest. The cat is purple on one side, and skeletal on the other.
28 Panty & Stocking (Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt)

Wait, these prompts aren't supposed to be for two characters at once, are they?!

This one was though, so it rather logically took longer than usual to draw. Since this anime is very stylised, this became an exercise in seeing how the characters looked when translated into my art style. I think Panty came out alright, but I'm not satisfied with Stocking. Oh well.

A drawing of the character Gambit from the X-Men comics. The character, a man with glowing purple eyes and messy short brown hair, is standing with his hands in his coat pockets, faintly smirking at the viewer. He's wearing a brown trench coat over black and purple body armour and a cowl framing his face.
29 Gambit (X-Men)

Another appearance of the elusive male character in the Arttrober list: this time, the X-Men character Gambit, of Marvel comics fame.

Also another opportunity to practice drawing trench coats! (The first being Carmen Sandiego much earlier in the month.)

A drawing of the character Elena from the Street Fighter videogame franchise. The character, a young black woman with blue eyes and white hair, is glancing to one side and grinning with one hand on her hip. She has her breasts wrapped in white cloth and is wearing white trousers with black markings, tied at the waist with red rope. She's wearing numerous coloured bands around her wrists, upper arms and neck, as well as gold earrings.
30 Elena (Street Fighter)

Another fighting game character—this time it's Elena from Street Fighter. Not a character I was familiar with, though in fairness I only really know the 'classic' Street Fighter 2 roster. I split the difference between her Street Fighter 3 and 6 designs, since I couldn't find a clear Street Fighter 6 reference to work off of (though I probably could have found something if I'd searched for longer).

A drawing of the character Cyrus Albright from the videogame Octopath Traveler. The character, a young(ish) man with blue eyes and messy dark brown hair tied into a ponytail, is standing looking into the distance in contemplation. He's wearing a brown vest over a white shirt with cravat, along with a dark green hooded mantle, decorated with golden filigree.
31 Cyrus (Octopath Traveler)

For the final drawing of the month, I get to choose who to draw—so I chose to draw Cyrus Albright, the scholar from the game Octopath Traveler, which I've been playing recently with Cyrus as my pick of the eight protagonists to serve as my primary character. Cyrus is a good pick for me, because I like playing mages and I like academics—I also enjoy Cyrus's particular combination of cleverness and obliviousness.

And with Cyrus, Arttrober for 2024 is complete. I quite enjoyed the list this year, with only a few characters that I had trouble gathering the enthusiasm to draw, and a lot of characters I would never have thought to try and draw if they hadn't come up as prompts. In terms of the art, I think I was relatively consistent this year with only a few 'dud' days—and even those weren't terrible. As ever, any of the drawings would have been better with more time and attention, but that is the nature of the daily art challenge, so I can't complain too much.

So until next year...

Comments