Arttrober 2024 (Part 2 of 4)

It's October, and that means that once again I'm following the prompts for Arttrober, a daily drawing challenge that requires artists to draw specific characters from anime, comics and games over the course of the month. This post will collect the second eight days of the challenge, starting from October 9th.

The first eight days of this drawing challenge are to found here.

A drawing of the character Melinoë from the videogame Hades 2. The character, a woman with blonde hair extending down to the nape of her neck, is telekinetically holding a dagger and sickle up on either side of her with crossed arms and clenched fists. She has one green eye and one red eye, and her left arm is spectral, revealing the bones within. She's wearing a laurel weath crowned by a silver crescent moon, a short orange dress fastened at the top with a metallic neck brace, and a similarly metallic waist-band.
09 Melinoë (Hades 2)

All the character art in Hades and its sequel looks great, so it's always both a treat and a challenge to try to draw one its characters myself. This is definitely a character that I could use more than a day to work on—but this is a daily art challenge, so I have to stop and make do before the night is out.

A drawing of the character Ayase Momo from the manga Dandadan. The character, a teenage girl with brown eyes and brown hair mostly hanging down the righthand side of her face, is looking towards the viewer with her body positioned sideways, her leading hand on her hip. She's wearing a pink sweater over a white undershirt tied loosely around the collar with a red bow and a navy-blue skirt. She's also wearing teal discs as earrings.
10 Ayase Momo (Dandadan)

Something a little simpler after the relative complexity of Melinoë. Momo here is a character from the manga/anime Dandadan, which I've seen a few stills from in places, but I haven't read/seen myself (yes, I really haven't been keeping up with new manga and anime lately). I quite like the design of her hair, which gives her a more distinctive appearance—which is basically essential for a successful manga protagonist, thinking about it.

A drawing of the character Catwoman, also known as Selina Kyle, from the Batman comics. The character, a cat burglar, dresses in a skintight leather catsuit; her cowl has pointed 'cat ear' adornments, and she's wearing googles with a similar 'cat ear' motif, the lenses tinted orange. In the drawing, she's hanging from an unseen ledge, her arms held up above her as she looks to the viewer. There's a whip wrapped around her left arm.
11 Catwoman (DC Comics / Batman)

Even I know who Catwoman is: Gotham City cat burglar, sometime foil to Batman, sometimes even lover. She's had many interpretation in films, though I think her comic depiction is more stable. In any case, I tried to put her in a pose fitting of a cat burglar—perhaps not the easiest to draw, especially with her outfit being more about texture than clearly distinct separate elements, but worth trying.

A drawing of the character Kitana from the videogame series Mortal Kombat. The character, who looks like a young woman with purple eyes and long dark hair descending down to the small of her back, is standing in a combat stance with her bladed fan unfurled, looking somewhere to the left of the viewer. She's dressed in a blue crop top and dark blue tights with a steel belt and steel armguards, as well as a decorated steel collar. She's also wearing a blue mask over the bottom half of her face, and is wearing a steel circlet over her brow.
12 Kitana (Mortal Kombat)

I don't really play fighting games, so I mainly know Mortal Kombat only by reputation. That hasn't stopped me from drawing a number of fighting game characters over the last few years of Arttrober (Chun Li, Cammy and Kasumi off the top of my head). Well, now we can add Kitana to the list—here depicted in her Mortal Kombat 1 incarnation (not to be confused with her incarnation in the first Mortal Kombat game, because numbers apparently don't mean anything anymore).

The fan was a massive pain to draw in perspective.

A drawing of the character Bulma from the manga Dragonball. She's been drawn in her wild rider suit. The character, a young woman with blue eyes and cyan hair descending down to the back of her neck, is standing facing the viewer with one hand on her hip. Some of her hair has been tied off into a small pigtail using a green ribbon and she has a sticking plaster attached to her right cheek. She's dressed in white t-shirt, a green harness and a pair of brown trousers with the right leg cut off. She's also wearing a shoulder pad with her name emblazoned on it, yellow gloves and pouch strapped to her trousers via belts.
13 Bulma (Dragonball)

I always hesitate when I'm given a brief to draw a character belonging to a series with a very distinctive art style. The art of Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragonball is instantly recognisable to any manga fan—so do I attempt to replicate Toriyama's particular style, or do things my own way and risk the character being unrecognisable? It doesn't help that Bulma has gone through a number of changes of appearance in Dragonball anyway.

In the end, I decided to mostly adhere to my own drawing style here. I also decided to draw Bulma in her Wild Riders outfit, an outfit that she apparently only appeared in for one cover, and never in the actual series itself. It seems to been a popular one nevertheless—so here it is.

A drawing of the character Black Canary, also known as Dinah Laurel Lance, from DC comics. The character, a crime fighter and martial artist, has blue eyes and long blonde hair. She's standing in a fighting stance with her balled fists raised in front of her. She's dressed in a black leotard with fishnet tights along with a black leather jacket and gloves.
14 Black Canary (DC Comics)

I'm aware of Black Canary as one of the Birds of Prey, but know little about her as a heroine. Nevertheless, she has a good, straight-forward design: leotard, leather jacket, fishnets...

Another opportunity to practice leather highlights.

A drawing of the character Firefly from the videogame Honkai Star Rail. The character, a young woman with blue-and-pink eyes and silver hair extending down her back, is facing the viewer in an aggressive stance with her hand stretched out in front of her. She's wearing a short blazer over a green and white dress with several embellishments. She's also wearing a hairband with two green feathers emerging on the left side of head and teal-coloured thigh-high tights.
15 Firefly (Honkai: Star Rail)

I generally dread the appearance of a character from Genshin Impact or any of the other miHoYo-produced games in the Arttrober list. Not so much because I dislike the characters (though aesthetically I find them a little over-designed for my tastes), but because they are not easy characters to draw in the space of a few hours as part of a daily challenge. Drawing Firefly was not tremendously difficult (I guess I've improved?), but she certainly took time to draw, and I definitely could have used more time to draw her more cleanly.

The drawing could have gone much worse. I suppose I'm satisfied.

A drawing of the character Tsunade from the manga Naruto. The character, a young-looking woman with brown eyes and blonde hair tied in twin pony tails behind her back, is standing with her arms crossed, a mildly amused expression on her face. She has a pale blue diamond tattoo on her forehead. She's wearing a green haori over a pale green blouse.
16 Tsunade (Naruto)

A relatively simple drawing after the complicated outfit of Firefly yesterday, this is a drawing of Tsunade, the Fifth Hokage in the Naruto manga and anime series. An anime series I've actually watched (most of)! Though I haven't been following the more recent Boruto sequel.

Arttrober continues with the next post in the series.

Comments