Arttrober 2024 (Part 1 of 4)
It's October, and that means that once again I'm following the prompts for Arttrober, a daily drawing challenge that requires artists to draw specific characters from anime, comics and games over the course of the month. This post will collect the first eight days of the challenge, starting from October 1st.
|
| 01 Frieren (Frieren: Beyond Journey's End) |
A character I've seen drawings of posted online, but whose manga/anime I've remained blissfully unaware of before now (not that this is unusual). A decent start to the month, though whether I can manage the same level of detail consistently throughout the month remains to be seen.
|
| 02 April O'Neil (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) |
I'm actually familiar with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles—or more accurately, with the first cartoon series, which was bowlderised into Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles in the UK. I used to watch it a lot as a kid, so I remember reporter April O'Neil and her yellow jumpsuit. Of course I'm also aware that April's design has changed between different iterations of the franchise, and indeed was quite different into the original comics—but here I decided to go with how I knew the character.
|
| 03 EVE (Stellar Blade) |
Stellar Blade: a game that I heard about around when it was released, but which I otherwise have no familiarity with. The central character appears to be an impossibly beautiful soldier with a lot of skintight outfits. Which is fine, in the videogame! That said, as an artist I always have a vague sinking feeling when I look at a costume so complicated I can't even entirely figure out what I'm looking at, even when given a high resolution render to refer to. Simplicity is a virtue! (Also, I had limited hours to draw this, so naturally I'm a bit salty.)
|
| 04 Yoru (Chainsaw Man) |
This is the third Chainsaw Man character I've drawn as part of Arttrober, and I've still yet to read any of the Chainsaw Man manga or watch the anime. I have managed to spoil several disconnected storybeats for myself researching the various characters to draw however—so I know that what I've actually drawn is the character Asa Mitaka possessed by the War Devil Yoru, effectively creating fiend Yoru (but maybe not quite the same as other fiends, because Mitaka is still alive and they share the body?).
|
| 05 Carmen Sandiego (Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?) |
You know, I'm not entirely sure I've watched a full episode of "Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?", though the theme tune did make a home in my brain at some point. In any case, I'm certainly aware of the franchise and its famous unstoppable thief. Apparently there was a remake on Netflix a few years ago, because nothing is allowed to die any more.
|
| 06 Yuna (Final Fantasy X) |
I'm familiar with almost all the Final Fantasy games up until 12, after which I have no experience beyond a brief dalliance with Final Fantasy 13. I am familiar with Yuna, the determined young summoner of the tenth entry (and also the main protagonist of the direct non-mainline sequel, the slightly silly Final Fantasy X-2). She has an interesting costume design, blending traditional and non-standard elements, which I suppose reflects her status as the deuteraganist of Final Fantasy X.
|
| 07 Ai Hoshino (Oshi no Ko) |
It seems that there are always a few 'idol' characters in the Arttrober list, often with ridiculous costumes. Ai's costume here isn't so crazy, though it took me a little while to get the ruffles to look decent. Not being a particular fan of idol manga, I had no knowledge of this character before drawing her, but I suppose her portrait came out alright.
|
| 08 Psylocke (X-Men) |
Not one of the X-Men I'm especially familiar with, though I am aware of her existence (and the fact that there has been more than one Psylocke). Not a bad character to round off the first quarter of Arttrober, with a straight-forward (if cliched) 'hero' costume—basically just a leotard with a sash and gloves. And a katana!
Arttrober continues with the next post in the series.








Comments
Post a Comment