Artwork: Shantae (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse)

I've been playing the Shantae games recently as a kind of palate cleanser from usual large RPGs I tend to play, so I thought I ought to take a stab at drawing Shantae herself.

This is a drawing of the eponymous half-genie in her Pirate's Curse incarnation. I had a little difficulty with this one because of the elevated perspective, which meant I had to figure out how to proportion her correctly, which ended up taking more time than I care to admit.

A digital drawing of Shantae, the half-genie heroine of the Shantae videogame series. Shantae is a purple-haired, dusky-skinned young woman who dresses as a dancer with a red brassiere and leggings. She wears golden jewellery, including armlets, earrings and a circlet with a blue gemstone that matches her eyes. She's shown from above, mid-dance, winking at the viewer while holding one hand up above her. The backdrop behind her is a blurred sandscape.
Shantae as she appears in her third outing, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

One difficulty I often have with drawing characters that are already stylised is how to strike a balance between staying true to the original artwork and reinterpreting the character in my own style—this is something that came up when trying to draw One Piece characters for Arttrober last year and the year before. I think it went alright this time, but it's missing some of the life of the official art I feel.

Comments