Arttrober 2023 (Part 1 of 4)

It's October, and that means that once again I'm following the prompts for Arttrober, a daily drawing challenge that requires artists to draw specific characters from games, anime and comics over the course of the month. This post reviews the first eight days of the challenge.

OBLIGATORY WARNING: Every one of these images was produced in a single day in the time available! They may be off-model, poorly shaded, or a little bit crap. Discretion is advised in the eye of the beholder.

A digital drawing of the character 'Suletta Mercury' from the anime 'Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury'. The character, a red-haired, teal-eyed young woman in a military-ish (vaguely naval style) uniform, looks towards the viewer with her hand on her chest.
01 Suletta Mercury (Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury)

I know of Gundam of course, but I've never watched any of it. Decent enough start (the 1st being a Sunday certainly helped), though the hair was surprisingly fiddly to draw.

A drawing of the summonable character Shiva from Final Fantasy 16, a kind of ice elemental lady. She'd drawn looking at the viewer, her cloaks (?) billowing out behind her.
02 Shiva (Final Fantasy 16)

I was a fan of Final Fantasy, but my interest seemed to peter out sometime around FF13. It may have been due to not having a PS3, but I confess to not feeling any excitement about FF15 or 16 either on release. Perhaps the magic has gone for me?

A drawing of the character Harley Quinn of DC comics fame. This drawing is based on her 'Suicide Squad Isekai' outfit: alternating black and red clothing, mainly a bustier and leather jacket. Her blonde hair is tied up in pigtails, one dyed pink, the other cyan. She's holding a purple baseball bat, settling it on one shoulder.
03 Harley Quinn (Suicide Squad Isekai)

It seems Harley is everywhere these days. I drew her two years ago too, though that time I drew her in her original harlequin costume from the Batman Animated series. The drawing came out okay though.

A drawng of the character Vash the Stampede from the anima and manga Trigun. Vash is sitting, looking off-camera, holding his pistol pointed downwards, dressed in his iconic red overcoat. He has blonde hair like the end of a broom.
04 Vash the Stampede (Trigun)

I remember watching Trigun many many years ago. I liked it! I never read the manga though. And there's a new anime now, Trigun Stampede. Which I haven't seen. I had to rush this one a bit, on account of having developed a migraine earlier that afternoon.

A drawing of the character Link from Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Link, a blonde-haired youth with pointed ears wearing a rustic tunic, has his finger pointed at the air as if he's just had a great idea.
05 Link (The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom)

I've certainly played a few Zelda titles, but not Breath of the Wild or its sequel. If I had a Switch though, they'd probably be right at the top of my list of games to play.

A drawing of Gwen from the show Into the Spiderverse. She's sitting cross-legged, looking at the viewer, dressed in her spiderwoman costume with the hood down.
06 Gwen (Across the Spiderverse)

I had a bit of trouble with this one. It just seems off-model to me: the face isn't right and the legs are a little too small in proportion to the torso, which is a bit annoying given that I had a reference image to work off of.

A drawing of the character Kamado Nezuko from the manga/anime Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer). She's in her demon form, which causes her to sprout a horn from her head and develop spiralling vine patterns around her body. She's standing facing the viewer with fists clenched, her hair rising behind her.
08 Nezuko (Demon Slayer)

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is another anime that has passed me by, but is apparently very popular. Having reached the next weekend, I feel I've rallied a bit after a slight slump on Friday (poor Gwen).

A drawing of the character Cammy from the videogame series Street Fighter, specifically in her Street Fighter 6 costume. She's looking off to the left of the image while stretching her right arm across her torso.
08 Cammy (Street Fighter 6)

I haven't played a fighting of game (Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, etc.) for a very long time—and the last time I played Street Fighter was off of a demo disk on my Amiga. One quarter of the way through the month!

Comments