Remastered: Flowering Maiden

A young maiden finds herself in a field of flowers, and is slowly transformed.

There's a Japanese concept called 花吐き病 ('hanahaki-byou' or flower-vomiting disease); flowers grow inside the sufferer's body, often in their lungs, heart or throat, slowly choking them while they cough up petals. The cause is unrequited love, and it will eventually kill them if not cured. That was what I had that in mind as I drew this artwork, though perhaps this particular case is less about love and more like a parasitic infection transforming some poor girl into a kind of flower zombie...

A drawing of a young woman standing in a field of flowers, her eyes blank as she looks up at a large multi-coloured flower rearing up in front of her as she pulls a pale blue petal from her mouth. The woman has a thick bob of golden blonde hair and grey eyes. She's wearing a shoulder-less pale blue dress with a slit skirt and detached white sleeves and has a pink stole wrapped around her neck. Flowers are growing out of her body: one sprouts from her brow, another from her cheek and a third from her neck. Another large flower blooms from just above her right breast, while others bloom from her left shoulder and thigh. Her right arms hangs loosely at her side; more flowers push out from beneath her sleeve instead of a human hand.
Just keep looking at the flower, and breathing in.

This actually started as a re-draw of a much older artwork that I did near when I first got my iPad eight years ago, before I had the desire (courage?) to post my art online for others to see.

Two drawings side by side with a teal arrow between them pointing from left to right. The left drawing is from late 2018 or early 2019 and shows the top half of a young woman adorned with flowers. The right drawing is from 2026 by the same artist and shows the same young woman striking roughly the same pose, likewise adorned with flowers (albeit with the implication that the flowers are actually growing out of her now). The quality of the art has perhaps improved in the last eight years.
A lot can change in eight years.

The original drawing on the left was rather simple—basically just a drawing of a girl with some decorative flowers added. I don't know what it says about my present mentality that I went more along the 'parasite' direction this time, though I hope it at least demonstrates an improvement in my art skills over time...

Comments