Remastered: Cautious Archer

An archer stands on a threshold, the open wilderness behind her.

Since the last few drawings I've done have been particularly bright and colourful, this time I reined back the more fantastic elements and drew something a bit more subdued with a bit more contrast, the light coming from behind the subject as if she's entering into a ruin or cavern.

A drawing of a woman with a bow. She has an arrow nocked but is holding the bow loosely with the arrow pointing downward, suggesting that she is wary but not about to immediately shoot anyone. She has teal eyes, brown skin and brown hair tied back behind her head. She's wearing a long short-sleeved purple dress over a long-sleeved grey chemise with a reddish suede corset over that. She's wearing a bracer over the wrist of the arm holding the bow and a simple bracelet on the other wrist; she's also wearing a decorated choker around her neck.
She probably won't shoot you if you don't make any sudden moves.

This is another drawing inspired by re-examining some of my older work, albeit this time based on multiple sketches and half-finished drawings over the years rather than a specific piece. This case gives a particularly good sense I think of how my drawing style has changed over the years. I actually still kind of like the third drawing in the progression shown below (the one where she's looking back over her shoulder). I've lost that softer texture style I think in my more recent work, opting in general for a more hard-edged look.

A collage of drawings of the same subject indicating the progression of the artist's style over several years. In each case, a drawing has been made of a woman in a medieval-inspired clothing consisting of a dress and suede corset with shoulder padding. Proceeding from left to right, the artwork gets more complete, with the use of line-art, colours and shading changing each time as the artist tries to find a style that works for them.
The same subject, looking entirely different each time.

The archer's outfit is very much based on the 'Archeress' costume sold by Armstreet, which I've found in the past to be an excellent source of medieval/renaissance clothing and armour references.

Comments