Artwork: Konohana Sakuya (Persona 4 Golden)

It occurred to me upon completing the videogame Persona 4 that I could draw a few of the personas summonable in that game. I immediately made life difficult for myself.

A drawing of Konohana Sakuya, Japanese goddess and base persona of Amagi Yukiko in the game. A distinctive part of her design is the 'sakura shawl' she has attached to both wrists—and it turned out to be a massive pain to draw in perspective.

A drawing of the character Konohama Sakuya as portrayed in the videogame Persona 4. Konohana Sakuya, a goddess from Japanese folklore, is the default persona of the character Amagi Yukiko. Konohana Sakuya appears as an elongated humanoid dressed in what appears to be a deep pink full-body cheerleader's outfit with a vaguely cicada-like helmet covering her face. The helmet is decorated with sakura petals. Her feet have no toes or heels. She wields a long belt of linked petal-shaped plates attached at each end to her wrists, remininiscent of a shawl, with additional plates arrayed in a spiral at each end like shields or, given the cheerleader theme, pompoms. She's portrayed in the drawing as dancing in the air, one 'pompom' held out in front of her, the other raised over her head.
A fire-resistant, cheerleading Yamato Nadeshiko type. Can also cast death magic, as it happens.

I'm still not convinced I did a very good job of the shawl (or the shading thereof); any regular array of rigid shapes can be quite tricky to draw by hand, without looking either rough or clearly 'copy-pasted'. Nevertheless, I have some thoughts for next time something like this turns up...

I did like Persona 4, by the way. And Yukiko was one of my favourite characters.

Comments