Artwork: Reclining Tiefling

Another drawing of a winged tiefling/demoness, this time shown reclining from behind against a starry (snowy?) backdrop.

This drawing was partly an exercise in trying out a different kind of pose, and partly an experiment in wing placement—seeing if it was possible to draw a winged character from behind without the wings obscuring the character.

A drawing of a young woman, possibly a devil or demoness, sitting on a luminous surface suspended among the stars, her back to the viewer as she looks invitingly over her shoulder. She has large leathery wings that she has allowed to rest on the floor behind her and a leathery tail snaking out towards the viewer. She has pointed ears, horns that curve back behind her head, and long pink hair tinted blue at the ends, settling into a single large curl down to the middle of her back. She's holding an iron staff, the top of which disappears out of view. She's wearing a green halter-top dress that leaves her back exposed, a leather corset and detached green sleeves covering her arms. She's wearing blue-grey tights covering her legs up to most of the way up her thighs, and green leather boots.
She turns away from the starry night, her wings resting on the shining floor beneath her.

I think having the wings 'rest' on the floor behind the character worked reasonably well. Thinking about how the wings (and tail!) interact with and constrain the clothing options of the character is also useful. It was something I used to not bother concerning myself with when I first started drawing winged characters—I'd just having the wings spring out from some nebulous region of the character's back without regard for the logistics of how the character could dress around those wings.

As I often do these days, I tried out an alternative colour scheme, eschewing the more mellow colour scheme of the first version with a more infernal scheme.

A drawing of a young woman, possibly a devil or demoness, sitting on a barren surface suspended over hellfire, her back to the viewer as she looks invitingly over her shoulder. She has large leathery wings that she has allowed to rest on the floor behind her and a leathery tail snaking out towards the viewer. She has pointed ears, horns that curve back behind her head, and long purple hair tinted maroon at the ends, settling into a single large curl down to the middle of her back. She's holding an iron staff, the top of which disappears out of view. She's wearing a red halter-top dress that leaves her back exposed, a leather corset and detached dark blue sleeves covering her arms. She's wearing purple tights covering her legs up to most of the way up her thighs, and leather boots.
She turns away from the fire, her wings resting on the earthen floor beneath her.

I'm not sure which image came out best, but I am sure that I'm not entirely satisfied. I think I need to think some more about how I colour (and shade) my drawings—try to figure out what it is that is bothering me.

Comments