Artwork: Harvest Witch

I've generally kept things simple when it come to light and shadow, given that I still don't think I've quite found the formula that works for me—for instance, is it best to have multiple layers of overlapping shadow from different sources, or to keep things clean and simple? Obviously, this is partly based on what it is I'm actually drawing, and the surrounding scene. In this case, I've tried for something more stark than usual, to give the composition an additional harshness. Does it work? Who can say. I'll just have to keep practicing.

A tall she-elf in a long, shoulder-and-sleeveless black gown. Her hair is burgundy, straight and trimmed to around neck length. One of her eyes is clouded over, and there is scarring around it. A long purple scarf or stole is wrapped around both her arms, the two ends trailing onto the ground in front of her. An emerald-green pseudodragon is perched on her shoulder, and all around her are stalks of dried grass.
Its been a long hot summer, and the harvest witch has come to take in the harvest...

Instead of adorning this one with wings or one of my other usual accoutrements, I've instead draped a familiar over her shoulders. A nice emerald green pseudodragon, to add a splash of additional colour to the scene.

You know what? I didn't really like how this one came out when I finished it, so I never uploaded it to Artstation.

Comments