Artwork: Mermaid

Apparently the month of May is 'Mermay', so entirely on that basis I've drawn a mermaid.

I've never drawn a mermaid before, even though they're certainly in my general wheelhouse for beauties with certain 'bestial' aspects to them.

A digital drawing of a mermaid posing on a rocky outcropping underwater. The mermaid has pale blue skin with a turquoise fish tail. She has long crimson hair turning violet around the tips. Her eyes are dark with dark sclera, and her ears are pointed and slightly ridged. She's sat on some rocks with reeds growing out through the gaps, and has her arms crossed behind her head as she gives the viewer a sultry look. As she is underwater, her hair blooms out in all directions behind her.
A mermaid, sat posed on some rocks underwater.

I found it surprisingly difficult to get the tail right. I think I like how I created the impression of scales using one of the 'roll-on' brushes in Procreate, but I'm always a little wary about adding extra 'special effects' (patterns, glare, chromatic aberrations, etc.) to my drawings—it's far too easy to overuse such things and spoil the overall composition.

Comments